The Law Office of  Regina Y. Kane

Immigration Law
Toll Free:  (866) 480-0297
6477 College Park Square, Suite 202
Virginia Beach, VA 23464
Phone: (757) 480-0297
1629 K Street NW, Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 349-3971

Immigration Information

The Law Office of Regina Y. Kane, Specializing in Immigration and Citizenship Law

Helping Clients Build Better Lives

The Law Office of Regina Y. Kane provides comprehensive immigration legal services for clients who are trying to build a better life in America.USA citizenship and naturalization lawyer Regina Y. Kane worked with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and has in-depth knowledge of the law and the practical standards by which applications for citizenship and green cards are judged.

Contact the Law Office of Regina Y. Kane if you need help in any of our practice areas:

For more information about immigration law, read on below:

If you need a US immigration attorney to help you enter or stay in the United States, contact the Law Office of Regina Y. Kane today.

The Law Office of Regina Y. Kane
1629 K Street NW • Suite 300
Washington, DC 20006
Phone: (202) 349-3971

1600 E. Little Creek Road, Suite 302
Norfolk, VA 23518
Phone: (757) 480-0297

Toll Free: (866) 480-0297

The Law Office of Regina Y. Kane provides comprehensive immigration legal services to clients who dream of making a new life in America. Located in the nation's capital, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Beach/Norfolk, Virginia, we represent clients in Maryland (MD), Virginia (VA), West Virginia (WV), North Carolina (NC), and South Carolina (SC), including Page County, Greene County, Arlington County, Fairfax County, Prince Georges County, Jefferson County, Prince William County, Loudoun County, Stafford County, Culpepper County, and the cities of Baltimore, Annapolis, Ocean City, Richmond, Harrisonburg, Alexandria, Huntington, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham, Charlotte, Newport News, Williamsburg, Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Hampton, and Charleston.

Immigration - An Overview

Immigration law covers the procedures for entering the US, determines who is and is not eligible for entry, sets the rules for obtaining citizenship and deporting foreign nationals who violate US immigration or other laws. Immigration attorneys assist foreign nationals seeking to come to the US to study, travel, conduct business and work. They also help employers complete the application and certification processes to employ foreign workers for permanent and temporary positions. If you have an immigration-related issue, contact our firm to schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

Attorneys practicing immigration law may handle various legal matters for aliens and US citizens living both inside and outside of the US. Some of the types of issues someone may seek the assistance of an immigration attorney include:

Visas for Permanent and Temporary Stays

Immigration attorneys can help foreign nationals with visa selection and the application process, as well as help them understand the type of documentation that will be necessary to secure a visa and explain any restrictions on their ability to enter the US. Immigration attorneys also can help employers determine the correct type of visa to apply for to hire foreign nationals as temporary or permanent employees, and help them determine whether any special certifications are necessary from the Department of Labor.

Some of the most common types of visas include:

  • Employment-based visas
  • Family-based visas
  • Temporary work visas
  • Student visas
  • Business visas
  • Travel visas
  • Exchange visitor visas
  • Intracompany transferee visas
  • Spouse and fianc√©(e) visas
  • Adopted child visas

Changing Immigrant Status

When applying for a visa, it is very important that foreign nationals choose the correct type of visa that will allow them to accomplish their goals while in the US. Each visa category comes with special requirements and may include restrictions on the type of activity the visa holder may do during his or her stay. For example, holders of student visas are not permitted to work unless they have received special permission. Sometimes it may be necessary for an alien to change his or her immigrant status to another category, like a student visa holder who has been offered permanent employment in the US.

Applying for Visa Extensions

Foreign nationals entering the US with temporary, or nonimmigrant visas, are only permitted to remain in the country for a limited amount of time, depending on the type of visa they received. For example, seasonal agricultural workers are allowed to remain in the US for less than one year at a time before they have to return to their home countries. In some instances, the time allowed for the temporary visa may not be long enough for the foreign national to complete the purpose of his or her trip to the US. In these cases, the foreign national may apply for an extension to remain in the US longer. There are strict requirements and deadlines for applying for extensions, so it is important the foreign national not wait until the last moment to apply for one.

Citizenship and Naturalization

Foreign nationals who live as legal permanent residents in the US for five years may be eligible to apply for US citizenship. This process, known as naturalization, includes many important steps. The immigrant must be able to demonstrate the ability to read, write and speak English and must be able to pass a US history and civics exam. The immigrant also must be of "good moral character." Certain types of criminal convictions may make an immigrant ineligible for citizenship. It is very important to prepare for the naturalization process and truthfully complete the application process. Any material misrepresentations during the process may result in deportation.


If an alien violates the terms of his or her status or commits certain types of crimes, he or she may be deported by the US government back to his or her home country. Aliens who may be deported include those with legal resident status, those with nonimmigrant or temporary visas and those who have entered the country illegally. Some of the types of offenses an alien can be deported for include:

  • Conviction for certain crimes, such as drug crimes
  • Overstaying visas
  • Using fraudulent or falsified documents or providing material misrepresentations to enter the country
  • Entering marriage fraudulently to gain entry into the country
  • Assisting, encouraging, aiding or abetting others to enter the country illegally
  • Engaging in any activity that endangers public safety or creates a national security risk
  • Violating any other US immigration or other law

Those facing deportation proceedings are entitled to legal representation and should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney. Aliens deported by the US may be ineligible to return for up to five years, and in some cases, may never be allowed to return to the country again.

Immigration attorneys also may answer questions concerning:

  • Asylum and refugee status
  • Diversity lottery
  • Dual citizenship
  • Visa waiver program
  • PERM process

Copyright ©2009 FindLaw, a Thomson Business


To learn more about how an experienced immigration attorney can help you, contact our firm today.

DISCLAIMER: This site and any information contained herein are intended for informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice. Seek competent legal counsel for advice on any legal matter.

Call us now

or use the form below.


Phone Number:

Email Address:



An individual who is at risk of being deported faces the possibility that he or she will have to leave the life they have established in the U.S. and have to start over again in another country. Family relationships and friendships are threatened and employment opportunities may be lost. If you, or someone you know, is at risk of being deported, contact an immigration law attorney to ensure that everything possible will be done to preserve your rights.

Printer Friendly View

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for individual advice regarding your own situation.

Copyright © 2009 by The Law Office of Regina Y. Kane. All rights reserved. You may reproduce materials available at this site for your own personal use and for non-commercial distribution. All copies must include this copyright statement.